It’s Monday and time to have some fun!
Today we have fun with Author Jessica Spotswood who answers our Monday Funday questions!
Here’s a little about Jessica!
I grew up in a tiny one-stoplight town in Pennsylvania, where I could be found swimming, playing clarinet, memorizing lines for the school play, or—most often—with my nose in a book. I’ve been writing since I was little but studied theatre in college and grad school. Now I live in Washington, DC with my brilliant playwright husband and a cuddly cat named Monkey.
And now to the questions! Muhahaha!
1. So the Cahill Witch Chronicle deal with witches and most witches are associated with covens. If you were head witch of a coven what other YA authors or any genre authors would you have a part of it? And what would be their special powers?
Ooh, my Breathless Reads sisters Andrea Cremer, Marie Lu, and Beth Revis would be my coven! We really clicked on tour in 2012 and we’ve done a few retreats since then, and they’re such an amazing, funny, clever, talented group of women, they don’t even need magic to make them more awesome. But I’d love to be able to fly or teleport to see them more often! I think Andrea would be a healer, because she’s so nurturing; Marie would be able to cast amazing illusions, because she’s also a brilliant artist; and Beth would be able to do mind-magic, because she’s a little bit evil. 😉
This is an epic coven! I wouldn’t want to mess with you girls!
2. I always have to ask the book boyfriend questions. Who is your favorite book boyfriend and what would you ask him if you got to meet him in person?
I don’t know if I can choose just one. My three favorite book boyfriends are Po from GRACELING, Hector from THE GIRL OF FIRE & THORNS series, and Eldric from CHIME. I don’t know what I’d ask them – let’s be honest, I don’t think much about talking to them! *swoons*
3. You have been part of the drama department in college and directed some plays. What YA book would you most love to direct? Of course we would love to see the Cahill Witch Chronicles on the big screen!
Oh, I wouldn’t trust myself to direct it – but I’d love to see a movie version of any of Kristin Cashore’s books. Especially FIRE. It’s so visual, with all the beautiful monsters!
4. If you could immerse yourself in any book what book would it be and what part? I would love to immerse myself in Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to ride theThestral with Harry and the others to the Ministry of Magic.
I’d love to live in the Harry Potter world! I’d like to visit Hogwarts and explore the castle – meet the ghosts, go through the secret passageways, have feasts in the great hall, attend a Quidditch match, and see crazy new plants and animals in herbology and Hagrid’s class!
5. Quick, you have a small amount of time and the cannon is ready to fire for the Hunger Games. What is your talent and who is your district?
Er…I’m really organized? I have great handwriting? I give good advice? I’d be dead immediately in the Hunger Games!
Ha Me too. I’m too nice. I would be a goner.
6. Disney has many princess, what princess would you love to revamp and make a brand spankin new fairy tale? I would love to see snow white as a vampire because whose skin is white as snow and lips red as blood? Or maybe sleeping beauty as a stone gargoyle cursed to sleep during the day?
I’m actually working on a fantasy retelling of Sleeping Beauty right now! It’s told from the pov of her half-fey bastard best friend, who has to go on a quest to bring back the prince she thinks will break the curse. I don’t want to say too much about it yet, but I love the idea of re-imagining Sleeping Beauty from a passive princess into a very headstrong one – and the curse being broken not really because of some unknown prince but because of a loyal best friend.
OMG! I love this! I can’t wait to read this!
Thank you so much for being a part of our Monday Funday Jessica!